Easy Process to Resolve QuickBooks Error 15106
QuickBooks is an outstanding accounting program that offers some great financial and tax management features. It won’t be wrong to say that it makes day-to-day handling of transactions smoother for users across the world. But along with that, it also ends up showing errors sometimes. These issues come up as soon as you open your software.
Some of the most common issues are QuickBooks Error 15106 and QuickBooks Error 15311. Issue 15106 arises when a user is unable to download QuickBooks Desktop updates. The error message that pops on-screen is ‘Unable to open the update program’ or ‘The update program might be damaged.’ In easy words, it is a type of payroll issues which does not allow the user to update the software.
In this blog, we will provide you with the solutions as well as the causes behind this problem.
Causes of QuickBooks Update Error 15106
Presence of Spy Sweeper in the Web Root Antivirus Program
If you have Spy Sweeper installed in your computer, then that is causing the QuickBooks Error 15106 to arise. It stops QuickBooks from updating and takes it as a malware that downloads unwanted files.
You Are Not Logged In with the Username that has Administrator Rights
Administrators or admin is a person who has the right to edit or modify important entries of a computer system such as programs, records, adding or adjusting user accounts, etc. You need to have admin access to install or update any program. Thus, if by any chance you log-in by using any other username, the software will show an error.
You may also read – Step-by-Step Guide to Resolve QuickBooks Error 15243
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 15106
Any user can find out whether or not the above-mentioned reasons are causing the error. They can do that by using these methods: –
Verify if Spy Sweeper is running.
- On your keyboard, press ‘Ctrl+Esc+Alt’ together in order to open the Task Manager.
- Look for the “More Details” options at the bottom of the window and click on it.
- Now, click on “Processes” and check whether or not “SpySweeper.exe” is still running.
Quickly check if you have logged in as an Admin.
- From the Start Menu, open Control Patel and then go to ‘User Accounts’.
- A new window will open which will display the account you have logged in from. You just need to verify whether “Administrator” is displayed below your account picture or not.
Steps to Resolve QuickBooks Error 15106
Not many users are aware but it is extremely easy to fix QuickBooks payroll error 15106. Just follow the simple steps and the issue will vanish. In case the solutions do not work, you can call us any time and get a working solution for it.
Here are the steps:
Remove the Spy Sweeper Program
If “SpySweeper.exe” appears in the task manager, you need to uninstall it right away.
Step 1 – In the start menu search box, type ‘Add/Remove Programs’
Step 2 – Once the window opens, find Spy Sweeper
Step 3 – Simply click on it and choose the ‘Uninstall’ option.
Step 4 – The computer will take a few seconds and remove it from your system.
Log in as Admin
- If you have not logged in as an administrator, then you need to do that right away. Switch user accounts from existing account to the one that has administrator privileges. After that, try to update the program again and check whether QB Error 15106 still shows up.
- If you have already logged in as the Administrator and cannot see Spy Sweeper anywhere on your system, then just ‘Reset’ the updates.
Step 1 :
From ‘My Computer’, Open C Drive
Step 2 :
Now, open C :\ Program Files\ Common Files \ Intuit\QuickBooksxx\Components
Step 3 :
Navigate the folder named ‘downloadqb<nn>’ and rename it to ‘download<nn>.old.’
These steps will hopefully resolve QuickBooks Error 15106 for you. But if they don’t, then please uninstall and reinstall the QuickBooks software from your PC.
If you have any questions or queries related to the blog, don’t think twice and get in touch with us. We provide 24/7 online as well as phone support to all our customers. Our team takes each customer query seriously and works towards solving issues in a rapid manner.