Technical Aid to Solve Overflow Error in QuickBooks Desktop
QuickBooks is the most well-known accounting and financial software. As recognized software, it also has its own set of errors. But the users do not have to worry as we provide relevant solutions for it. One of the common errors that you may come across is the Overflow Error in QuickBooks Desktop.
Overflow error in QuickBooks Desktop app is a data error in which the entire measurements unit combines with one another to exceed the limits of a particular field. As a user you may encounter this error while: –
- Opening any report, in one or more fields of any column.
- Running the Verify Data utility. The error message that will display will be something like:
‘An overflow error has aroused, one of your accounts may have exceeded the maximum value allowed.’
- Working on the chart of accounts. This would mean that one or more of your balance sheets displays an overflowed amount.
Simple Steps to Resolve Overflow Error in QuickBooks Desktop
Solution 1: Rebuild your QuickBooks Data File
To do so, follow these steps: –
- From the File menu, go to the Utility option and then click on ‘Rebuild Data’.
- You will receive a warning message to backup your company file to secure your data, just Click OK on that.
- The rebuilding process will start, click OK when you see the dialogue box ‘Rebuild is complete’ on your screen.
Solution 2: If you are facing the format issue (we suggest exporting of files in Microsoft Excel to identify overflow)
This is how you can do it:
- Generally, the Overflow rows issue does not display on the report when there is a format issue.
- So, firstly the user needs to display the columns by year or month.
- Then, export all the lists on the desktop and minimize QuickBooks window.
- Now, right-click on the ‘export file’ option and select ‘Open with Microsoft Excel’.
- On your keyboard, press ‘Ctrl’ and ‘F’ keys simultaneously.
- Type *overflow* and then click on ‘Find’.
- Open QuickBooks and make corrections in the Account, Name or Item data fields.
- Go to Excel again and carry on this process until there are no more results.
Solution 3: In case QuickBooks overflow error shows in a group or item
- You need to set the item quantity of the Group Item to zero.
- Tab out of the field.
- Enter the correct Group Item quantity again.
Some overflow error in QuickBooks Desktop shows only in one item; generally when the overflowing item is newly added. The issue may also arise on an already existing Item in the list.
- In case the error shows up in the newly added item, then you must delete it from the Item list and re-establish it.
- If it is not a new item, then you must review the item and make corrections in the transaction that is causing the problem.
Solution 4: When the account balance or other fields is too huge
Users are not aware that if a particular account balance surpasses the maximum limit, then the field will automatically show the overflow problem.
In that case, you can resolve overflow error in QuickBooks Desktop by using these steps:
- Make use of the basic data damage troubleshooting steps.
- Make a portable company file and restore all the data to a new file.
- Review your Chart of Accounts
- Click on the ‘Chart of Accounts’ option from the List Menu.
- Search for the account that shows an account balance of 10,000,000,000,000 or more.
- Now, decrease the balance of that account because it is nearly impossible to reach an amount that huge.
- If the problem still doesn’t disappear, move to the next step.
- Make changes in the Memorized Reports
- From the Reports Menu, run the memorized report.
- In case the report does not show any error, then we suggest deleting and recreating the Memorized Report.
- If this doesn’t work, then use the next step to resolve overflow error in QuickBooks Desktop.
- Go through all lists for fields that contain an amount. You will have to include inactive items option while checking the lists.
- From the Lists menu, select ‘Add/Edit Multiple List Entries’ options.
- Now click on the ‘Customize Columns’ choice and choose any field that consists of an amount (such as Cost, Credit Limit or Price). Try to find Overflow and then edit, change, or delete that particular amount.
- Go through all the lists.
- If you are using the latest version of QuickBooks, then from the Edit menu, choose Search look for *overflow*; and then look for list elements followed by checking for transactions.
- Carry on running verifies after editing the amounts in the company file until the message vanishes.
We hope the above methods will fix overflow error in QuickBooks desktop and online for you. If not, then you can easily get in touch with us. One of our experts will look into the problem for you and solve it within a few minutes. You may connect with our professional by using 1-800-469-4817 or via email support.