A lot of users may already know that the QuickBooks Database Server Manager (QBDBMS) allows multi-user access. It makes a network data file (.ND) on the host computer for a company file.
Every user at one point or another has to install the database server manager because not doing so means no multi-user access. It allows a user to successfully connect with the host computer and perform tasks in a multi-user mode. In this article, we will explain the entire installation, update and set up a process of QuickBooks database server manager. You may consult a professional if you find the process difficult in any way. It will save your time as well as effort.
Installing the server manager will let you: –
- Easily scan and examine the company file for the purpose of multi-user access.
- Inspect the local storage device to detect a new company file automatically.
Some Helpful Guidelines
Before starting the installation process, we suggest that go through the following tips: –
- QBDBMS helps to create Network Data files and stores the company files on the host computer. You should install each version of the Database Server Manager if want to use multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop.
- If you are installing multiple versions of Database Server Manager it will give you only multiple versions of processes but it cannot provide multiple versions of the software.
- For multiple QB Desktop versions, you may install the Server Manager in chronological order from oldest to freshest order of each version.
- All windows files can only be opened if you have access to Windows and the Control Panel then it is recorded as QuickBooks DBXX, where the XX demonstrates the number of adaptations (ex.”27″ is for QuickBooks Desktop 2018 and “28” for QuickBooks 2019).
- A user is added when the QB Database Server Manager is installed. (ex. QBDataServiceUser28 for 2018 and QBDataServiceUsers27 for 2017).
Simple Steps to Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Open the QuickBooks installer and begin the installation process.
- If your computer has a good net connection, then download the upload and just click OK. In case you have a poor net connection, then Click No followed by clicking on Next.
- If any program is open, close all of them and click on Next.
- Go through all the terms of the Software License agreements. Tick mark if you agree to terms and conditions.
- Then select the Custom or Network Options.
- Choose a type of installation:
- Select – ‘I’ll be utilizing QuickBooks on this computer and I’ll be putting away; if you are interested in running the program on this particular PC only.’
- Tick mark on ‘I won’t utilize QuickBooks on this Computer if you are only interested in storing data on this particular computer’
- Choose YES, permit get to.
- Type your License Number and Product Number.
- To complete installation you can follow all the on-screen guidelines.
- If the installation is done, don’t wait further and start the Database Server Manager process.
How to update QuickBooks Database Server Manager
We will emphasize the simple fact that downloading QBDBSM is extremely essential. For the most part, it is critical when a vital update to a present year is discharged or a new QuickBooks Desktop version is introduced on the workstations.
- Firstly, the user needs to download the fix from Update QuickBooks Desktop to the most recent discharge.
NOTE: – The fix for the workstation and the fix for the server are the same.
- After the installation finishes, at that point, the user has to reboot his/her server. (This is firmly obligatory).
- After the server has been updated on the workstation then the user will receive messages that will say- ‘Update the company file to make it work with this adaptation of QuickBooks Desktop.’
- The user needs to make a backup because there are chances that the software will make changes after the update.
- If the user successfully follows the updating procedure, he or she will be able to open the company file.
Setting up and using the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- At first, open the QuickBooks Database ‘Server Manager and then scan the folders or files that you need to configure for the multi-user access.
- After that scan, the company files on the server to ensure that the files are configured correctly so that they can open easily on a multi-user set up.
- Now in order to add new company files to the server, you can use the Monitored Drives option and have the Database Server Manager up to date.
- Make sure that the company files are connected to the server and users are logged into the company files.
- And in case, if you want to change the status of the service then use the Service Administrative Tool and configure the service.
- Finally, you can now use ‘Updates’ feature and download the latest updates to the QuickBooks Server.
How to Open QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Open QB and then locate the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- After it open, go through all the folders
- It is important for a user to scan all the company files that they are configured in a correct manner and can be used easily by other users as well.
- From your start menu’s ‘Programs’ option, locate the QuickBooks folders and make use of the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
NOTE: Scan the folders; you also select the entire disk if you do not know which folder contains the company files.
- Begin the Scan and keep a check on the screen that which folder is getting scanned.
- After it completes, you will be able to access all company files easily on the multi-user mode. Ask other users to check them too.
- If they open for them, this means that the files are ready for multiple accesses.
Just find the Add folders button and click on it. Choose the folder you want to add. Make sure that the folder is visible under the official QuickBooks company file folder.
- Open the “QuickBooks Database Server Manager”. You will see folders listed in the “Scan Folders” section. You can remove any folders that you do not wish to keep from here by selecting the undesired folder and then clicking “Remove Folder”.
Scanning for Folders:
- If you cannot see any folders, then click the “Scan” button. This launches a scan to find all the folders that have any QuickBooks company files in them.
Here you can add the drives that you want to be monitored. The monitoring service makes sure that every user can access company files from the respective drives.
- To check the status of the monitoring service, open the “Monitored Drives” section.
This function can also be used to keep the QuickBooks Database Server Manager updated. This will be needed only when new company files are added to the server.
- From the Start menu of your Windows PC, select QuickBooks and open the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Select “Monitored Drives”.
- Select each drive that will receive new company files or where old company files are renamed, deleted or modified in any other form.
However, you cannot monitor or view the drive which is being mapped.
Functions of QuickBooks Database Server Manager:
- Helps determine which user is currently logged in and into which company file.
- Helps the user know about the company files in the server.
- Help keep a continuous record of which service is running while the company files are being hosted by the server.
- You can also manipulate the status of some of the services by using the Services Administrative Tool and configuring the QuickBooksDBXX service.
- Helps manage updates in the “Update” section. Just click on the “Update” button and proceed using the steps mentioned.
Database server manager System
The system open is used to check all the information related to the system.
- First, select Programs from the start button and go to the Database Manager.
- Select the system.
- Read all the system details and check whether everything is OK or not.
The motive of this article was to make you understand the set-up and installation process of QuickBooks Database Server Manager. If you have difficulty in understanding any point, simply get in touch with us. We will try and clear our doubts as quickly as possible. Our team of experts is available to guide users.